Sunday, November 27, 2005

Sunday, 8th Week: Time flies (or, Falling out the end of the Trousers of Time)

A little song to start us off:

"Seventh has come and passed,
The Oxford terms, they never last.
Wake me up, when Friday 8th Week ends,
Wake me up, when Friday 8th Week ends."

It's a wet start to my last Sunday in Oxford before the new year. But never mind - CU Breakfast in but a few short minutes (even here, it's fairly safe to approximate the passage of time in minutes rather than OxMinutes of Oxford Time) will help to wake me up.

Highlights of 7th Week have to include St. Aldate's black-tie Student Thanksgiving Dinner on Thursday (see right). The church was transformed into a sea of red, orange and yellow balloons, with around 250 students being extremely well fed with turkey, sweet potato and marshmallow (a strange combination for us Brits, but something I could get used to), and other food-type goodies.

More mundane matters: Tomorrow is the deadline for my Functional Programming practical work. Just as well, then, that it's already finished... I'm not looking forward to (last day of term) Friday - as it gives our tutor a chance to set a marathon of tutorials to catch up on any sheets we've missed. (What do I mean when I say sheets? Take a look for yourself: you can get some of them at http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/~earl - and enjoy the wonder of calculus!)

Yes, it's not the traditional lazy last week of term - this is an Oxford term, and the work keeps going until the bitter end (literally, 6pm of the Friday...) This time next week, I'll be getting ready to go to my home church for Catherine, Katherine, Rachel, Lisa and Anna get baptised. What a service to come home to!

No comments: