Monday, January 16, 2006

Monday, 1st Week: The Boys Are Back In Town

...actually, I was back in town last Wednesday (well, briefly on Monday). This is pretty much a sort of catch-up for the events of 0th week (the holiday, or 'vac', ceases to exist when you revert to Oxford reality).

So, 0th Week! The CU Houseparty to the Frontier Centre in Northamptonshire. A great couple of days away - good company, good teaching, good food (always important in any Christian context!), and an amusing walk past at least four "No Entry" signs (or similar). And mud.

Bought a couple of books from the bookstall (courtesy IVP!) - at the moment I'm reading Jesus Driven Ministry by Ajith Fernando. It's a very good book. I'd recommend it to anyone in any form of Christian leadership.

Got back to Oxford on Wednesday evening. Had to survive a whole 24 hours more without my computer, as this was being brought up on the Thursday by my parents. It's now up and running with the latest svn of MythTV, and with the signal booster I installed a few scant minutes ago I have now solved my reception problems with the three muxes I had trouble with. For some reason I can't get a lock on Sky (690MHz) without moving the aerial up a shelf; but if I do that, I can't lock on five (714MHz); and the bit error rate on the other muxes shoots up. Got to be something to do with the strange architecture of the Sir Thomas White building... and I see they're still transmitting on 554MHz, something to do with the mobile TV trials in Oxford using DVB-H. Can't watch it though... ;-)

Enough technobabble. There's plenty happening this term: hopefully my first laundry of the term will be less eventful than the last one. I'm using the Tommy White machines this time, just in case! Major protests by the animal rights lobby (or at least the yobs who claim to be on that side) are scheduled for this term. This was the scene on Saturday on Cornmarket Street: around 50 police and four horses (of undetermined sexuality), but no obvious protesters by this stage. Reports are that around 500 people turned out in the end. Some of them (it sounded like) were rattling the fence at the bottom of my staircase. The fence withstood the attack.

No comments: