Friday, June 16, 2006

8th Week: The Longest Day

No fewer than six exam-hours today. CS3 this morning went OK, though Logic and Proof was scarily nasty (most of us had planned to attack all three L&P questions, based on the collection we did eight weeks ago). Managed to answer two of the Models of Computation questions (I hope) quite well. Since you have to answer five out of nine questions, I managed to not have to answer any Discrete Maths questions at all. Which was nice.

CS2 this afternoon was a bit of a mixed bag, but generally good. Some easy PP questions (apparently the easiest was Q2, though I didn't go for it), and it's always theraputic to be able to just write down elegant solutions to problems. As for DH - some really really badly set questions. It wasn't the content or the theory that was the problem, it was a third of a page taken up by a table that was mostly irrelevant and actually complicated things a lot. It took me a good five minutes to work out that it was describing a pedestrian crossing! Add to that all the signal names were in CAPS which GAVE ME A HEADACHE and it wasn't the most elegant or subtle of questions I've seen. And my method of using JK flip-flops? Wire them up like D-types! So much easier. Thanks, Brian!

Today's Star Wars Exam Reference: X-Wings/ TIE Fighters - talking about type extension in Oberon.

It occurred to me today that I haven't yet mentioned the Galactic Empire (GE) on here. At the start of this month, I reached five years with the club; in that time, I've made my way up the ranks from Ensign to Commander, where I am today. It's a whole different batch of problems - not least Zeta Squadron, who resolutely refuse to hold down a squad leader. Applications are open...

No comments: