Friday, April 27, 2007

1st Week: Adventures in ThinkPad Land

I welcomed a new member of the family today: an IBM ThinkPad T41. Came with some second-rate OS installed, but I wiped that straight away. More details later but here's the short of it:

What Worked Out Of The Box

  • All of the base setup (once I'd rid myself of the Windoze restore hidden partition)
  • Wireless ethernet
  • Beryl (whizzy window effects). OK, so technically not "out of the box" because you have to install it, but that wasn't exactly hard.
  • Hibernate/resume
  • Power management inc. CPU frequency scaling
  • Mythfrontend (meaning that the problem on Avenger is localised, and I should look into it further)

What Didn't

  • Suspend/resume
Not bad at all, IMO. Bear in mind I've only had this for a couple of hours and currently the only way I can access the internet with it is to spoof Avenger's MAC address (don't tell Matt...) - hopefully I can find a wifi hotspot to properly test the wifi hardware. And eventually get a wireless router so I can share the connection with Avenger, and even stream TV to the laptop (whose name will be decided shortly by Heather).



More later!

No comments: