Monday, May 01, 2006

2nd Week: What happened to 1st Week? And May Day Morning

"Oh, to see the dawn..." If it weren't so darn rainy at dawn this morning... not that you can tell from this photo, which shows the St. John's choir atop the tower at about 8.30am. But my day started at 5am, when it was indeed raining. OICCU had organised a mass doughnut-and-tea-and-coffee-giving-out based in Radcliffe Square.

I'm getting ahead of myself... This is all based around an Oxford tradition. On May Day morning, Magdalen College choir sing in the dawn at 6.00, heard by hundreds of people who flood the High Street from about 5.30. Once they have finished, two things normally happen:
  1. Everyone jumps of Magdalen Bridge into a very shallow river, causing mass injury.
  2. Every single belltower in Oxford rings constantly until about 7.45.
This year, the police (possibly with horses of strictly heterosexual persuasion) closed of Magdalen Bridge, thus preventing (1). (2) was still possible. And, while all this was happening, a large and merry (and damp) band of Christians from across the University were distributing doughnuts, offering tea and coffee (all free) and asking lots of people about their beliefs. And getting wet.

Well, about 7.45 we packed up, and I ended up in Trinity College by 8 listening to their choir (after only my second cup of tea of the day). After this, I fought my way past the Lancre Stick and Bucket Dancers (OK, not really) outside the SJC lodge, and listened to our own choir, before heading up to my room, completely failing to go back to bed, and writing this.

Oh, yes - I'm back! It's now 2nd Week of Trinity Term. At some point, hopefully at the other end of the term, I will have exams (Mods). This means I need to do work towards them. This means doing past papers, as well as finding the time for the 13 tutorials we need to squeeze in. The exam timetable isn't out yet, but the rumour mill suggests they're in 8th and 9th Weeks.

Ah, what fun! After us all getting rather soaked, it's now gloriously sunny in Oxford.

No comments: